Founded in 1833, the Antigo Museu Portuense de Pinturas e Estampas (Old Porto Museum of Painting and Prints) was the first public art museum in Portugal. Housed, since 1940, in the Palácio dos Carrancas (Carrancas Palace) and built at the end of the 18th Century by a wealthy Porto family, it is classified as a heritage site. It has collections of ceramics, sculptures, engravings, jewellery, furniture, gold and silver work, paintings, textiles and glass. The 'Desterrado' is noteable as the masterpiece of the museum's patron, the sculptor António Soares dos Reis. The museum has been significantly renovated and enlarged under a project led by the architect Fernando Távora. While maintaining all the building's historic features, the project has brought with it new and improved internal and external spaces. It has a café, a library that can be visited by appointment, a school service and a multimedia room.